If you thought getting people to retweet your tweets was hard, then try getting them to click on your Twitter links. HubSpot released their own independent study that confirmed what all marketers feared was true: people will retweet a tweet without even bothering to click on your Twitter link (HubSpot, 2012). At this point then, you’re probably wondering what’s the use of getting a retweet if no one’s clicking that link to your landing page, your website, or your blog right? Here are a few tips to help you get more clicks:
The Intention of Your Tweet
The intention behind your tweet needs to be taken into account. For example, if you’re posting a tweet with the intention of trying to increase your lead conversions, then you really want to work on getting people to click that link. Try changing up where you place the link in your tweet. Start experimenting with the words that you use, when you post the tweets, the timing of your tweets (maybe you’ll get more clicks on a Sunday morning than a Wednesday evening!), and how often you publish that information.
If your intention behind a tweet is to share information and help turn yourself into an industry thought-leader in your niche, then you won’t have to push so hard to get people to click that link. What you want are retweets, and the good news here is that if you just want retweets, all you need to do is ask.
What’s Wrong with My Links on Twitter?
If no one is clicking on your Twitter links, then you have to start off by looking at what you can potentially be doing wrong here. Here are some common Twitter faux pas that members of the Twitterverse make and how you can avoid them:
- Not Using Short Twitter Links: Long links are just ugly and take up precious character space. Take advantage of the tools out there like bit.ly to help you create special short links for Twitter. As a bonus, bit.ly also offers stats on things like your links’ CTR (click through rate).
- Annoying Self-Promotion: There’s nothing wrong with giving your company or product a mention every now and then, but if your content is all about “me, me, me!” then no one’s even going to be remotely interested in clicking on your Twitter links. Many marketers stand by the 80/20 rule, meaning that 80 percent of the content you post needs to be helpful, insightful, or entertaining, and the other 20 percent can be used for self-promotion.
- Lack of Engagement: Do you really expect people to click on your links if you’re not engaging with them on a regular basis? If you want people to take action on your tweets, then you’ve got to put yourself out there and participate in the Twitter community. Respond to tweets, retweet content, and give other users a shout-out and promote them from time to time. These simple things can drastically improve your Twitter link click rate.
- Not Using Facts: Providing facts in your tweet can help show why the link that you’re tweeting is of importance and should be clicked, which will naturally increase the number of clicks you get. If you don’t tell people what the link is about and how it can help them, they won’t bother to click on your Twitter links.
- How Important Is It To Have A Responsive Website?
- Why Owning a Business Website Helps You Succeed?
- Best Way to Use a WordPress Blog
- Google Smart Labels: What Do They Do and How to Use Them
- 10 Social Media Techniques Most Online Marketers Mistakenly Do
- Is Twitter Still as Relevant as It Once Was?
- Best Search Queries in New Facebook Search
- Why People Don’t Click on Your Twitter Links?
- Why People Don’t Click on Your Facebook Links or Like Your Posts?
- What Does SEO Mean to You in 2013?